February 25, 2011

Oscar Weekend

With Oscar weekend upon us, I'm amazed that I've actually seen 6 of the 10 films nominated for Best Picture this year.  In honor of one of my most favorite nights of television (who doesn't love ooh-ing, aah-ing, and laughing over the dresses, secretly tearing up at a few acceptance speeches, and maybe practicing your own speech for when you inevitably win one someday?), I'm going to give you my quick reviews of the movies I've seen that are up for the big award.  Enjoy!


When I first walked out of Black Swan, all I could think of was "why did I put myself through that?"  However, as the days went on and I thought more and more about the movie, I realized that I loved it.  Except for a few certain close-ups of fingers and toes (if you've seen it, you know exactly what I mean), the movie was flawless.  The dancing was gorgeous, the acting fabulous, and it left me wondering what the heck just happened?  


Another "what the heck just happened?" movie, Inception kept me thinking long after it was over.  Sometimes hard to keep up with, and I'm still not exactly sure what was a dream and what was reality, but anything with Leo in it has gets a thumbs up from me. 


I saw The Kids Are All Right during the one day last summer when the temperatures reached 100 and the coolest (literally) place to be was the movie theater.  I absolutely adore all of the actors in this film, and it was both terribly funny and heart-wrenching at the same time. 


I just recently saw The Social Network, and it was so much better than I thought it would be.  The movie makes you both hate and love Mark Zuckerberg at the same time, and it brought me back to my days in college, when Facebook (or should I say "The Facebook") was just starting to gain popularity and you wondered what you were going to do when you graduated, since at that time it was for college students only.  Since Facebook has now taken over the world, it's interesting to look back at it from the beginning.



I went to see this movie to make my brother happy, thinking I would sleep through the whole thing.  Boy was I wrong.  True Grit ended up being one of my favorite movies of the year!  Jeff Bridges is perfect in his role and I found myself laughing and smiling throughout the entire film.  I could watch this movie over and over and never get bored.


But, if I have to pick a winner, The King's Speech is it.  The film had me laughing throughout, but Colin Firth's portrayal of the King is so moving that if he doesn't win for Best Actor, there is something seriously wrong with the voting.  If you haven't seen this one yet, please go see it.  Now.  It is inspiring and heart warming (and the scene near the end where he is practicing his speech will have you laughing so hard you will be wiping tears from your eyes).


What was your favorite movie this year?

xoxo,
stephanie marie

No comments:

Post a Comment