Sunday evening I headed over to West Seattle to Stefanie and Eric's house for dinner, a movie, and to see their newly remodeled bathroom (beautiful!). Knowing that Stefanie was going to make a yummy seafood risotto, I wanted to bring an appetizer that was easy and light. Flipping through my brand new Pioneer Woman cookbook, I came across her homemade hummus. I am a huge fan of hummus, but have never attempted to make it on my own. This recipe made a ton, but luckily keeps nicely in the fridge (and is a great snack to take to work with veggies and pita chips). It was just as good, if not better, than store bought and I would definitely make it again for the next get together. We spent the evening testing out wedding cocktails, eating, and watching My Week with Marilyn (even Eric agreed it was great). It was a perfect Sunday evening - thanks for hosting Stef :)
The Pioneer Woman's Hummus
Ingredients
3 - 14.5oz cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
3 garlic cloves, peeled
Juice of 2 lemons
1/2 cup tahini
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup to 1 cup cold water
2 tblsp olive oil
Instructions
1. Add chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper to a blender. Blend the mixture, pouring in cold water as you go. Start with 1/2 cup and add more as needed to get the consistency you want.
2. You may have to stop and stir, as this mixture becomes thick. Just keep adding a little water until it's right.
3. At the end, add the olive oil and give it a final pulse. Taste the hummus to make sure the seasoning is right.
4. Serve with cut veggies, pita chips, or on sandwiches.
5. Remember, this makes a HUGE batch!
xoxo,
stephanie marie
Is that a lime WEDGE?
ReplyDeleteIt's definitely not a SLICE
Delete