February 12, 2014
Skinny Slow Cooker Burrito Bowls
A week or so ago I was feeling super unhealthy. I was eating a ton of "celebratory" foods in honor of the Seahawks {you know you were too} and I felt like I needed to take a step back and make something healthy {that didn't just consist of lettuce and tomatoes}. While perusing Pinterest for healthy recipes {do you guys use this for recipes? Call me old fashioned, but I typically just look at a cookbook but thought I'd branch out} I stumbled upon these Skinny Slow Cooker Burrito Bowls, combining two of my favorite things - my slow cooker and Mexican food. These were a cinch to put together in the morning before work, and when I got home the house smelled absolutely delicious. I ate the leftovers for several days after, and they just kept getting better and better as the week progressed. You can top these any way you want, and even put them in tortillas for a bit more substance. I'll definitely be checking out this Pinterest thing again real soon for some more yummy meals :)
Skinny Slow Cooker Burrito Bowls
Ingredients
1/2 lb dried pinto beans
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup white onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tblsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
Toppings
Shredded lettuce
Grated Cheese
Low Fat Sour Cream
Chopped green onion
Chopped tomatoes
Avocado
Instructions
1. The night before, soak beans in water overnight.
2. In the morning, drain beans and add to slow cooker. Add chicken, water, onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt. Stir.
3. Cook on low for 9 hours. Do not open lid.
4. After cooking, shred chicken with two forks in slow cooker. Spoon mixture into bowls and top with desired toppings.
Serves 4-5
adapted from the magical slow cooker
xoxo,
stephanie marie
Labels:
crock pot,
mexican food
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment