February 16, 2023

Mushroom Bolognese


There's nothing better than a big bowl of warm pasta on a cold day, and if I can try to make it a little healthier and meat-free, I'm all for it.  When looking through my newest Barefoot Contessa cookbook I came across this recipe for Mushroom Bolognese, a vegetarian nod to her Weeknight Bolognese that I make constantly and absolutely love.  This comes together super quickly and while it may seem like a lot of mushrooms to begin with, they cook down and create the most delicious flavor and texture that you don't even miss the meat.  This is becoming a staple in our house when I'm craving a veggie pasta and I suggest the same for you!


Mushroom Bolognese

Ingredients
Olive oil
1 1/2 lbs cremini mushrooms, brushed clean, trimmed, and diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp fresh oregano leaves {or 1 tsp dried}
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/4 cups dry red wine, divided
1-28oz can crushed tomatoes
2 Tbsp tomato paste
Salt & Pepper
1 lb dried pasta
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving

Instructions
1. Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in medium Dutch oven over medium heat.  Add mushrooms and cook 5-7 minutes until starting to brown.  Stir in garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook 1 minute.  Pour 1 cup wine into pot and stir, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom.  Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, 1 Tbsp salt, and 1 1/2 tsp pepper.  Bring to boil, then lower heat and simmer 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook pasta as directed in salted water.  Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water.
3. Add remaining 1/4 cup wine, nutmeg, basil, and mascarpone to sauce and simmer another 5 minutes.  Add pasta and enough reserved pasta water to make a loose sauce and cook over low heat for about 3 minutes, until pasta absorbs the sauce.  
4.  Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup Parmesan.  Serve sprinkled with extra Parmesan and basil.

Serves 4-6

adapted from go to dinners







xoxo,
stephanie marie

No comments:

Post a Comment