August 27, 2013

Cajun Chicken Pasta


This past weekend, with not a lot of plans, I decided to treat myself to a yummy homemade dinner.  Of course, I went to The Pioneer Woman, and after perusing her website, decided to try her Cajun Chicken Pasta.  I didn't have Cajun Spice mix, and since I didn't feel like purchasing a new spice, made my own out of the spices I already had (recipe below).  Besides a lot of chopping, the meal was really easy to throw together, and just like all of her others, I have leftovers for the rest of the week.  If you're looking for a satisfying meal with a little kick, I'd suggest making this one very soon.  So so good.


Cajun Chicken Pasta

Ingredients
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
3 tsp Cajun Spice Mix
1 lb Fettuccine
2 tblsp olive oil
2 tblsp butter
1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1/2 large red onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 Roma tomatoes, diced
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup heavy cream
cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper to taste

***For Cajun Spice mix, combine 2 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp cayenne pepper.

Instructions
1. Cook pasta according to directions. 
2. Sprinkle 1 1/2 tsp cajun spice over chicken.  Toss to coat.  Heat 1 tblsp olive oil and 1 tblsp butter in heavy skillet over high heat.  Add half chicken in single layer; do not stir.  Allow to brown on one side for about 1 minute, then flip and cook 1 more minute.  Remove with slotted spoon to clean plate.  Repeat with remaining chicken.
3. Add remaining olive oil and butter.  When heated, add peppers, onion, and garlic.  Sprinkle with remaining cajun spice.  Cook over very high heat for a few minutes, stirring gently to get blacken vegetables.  Add tomatoes and cook 1 more minute.  Remove vegetables from pan.
4. Over high heat, pour wine and chicken broth in pan.  Cook for 3-5 minutes, scraping bottom of pan to deglaze.  Reduce heat to medium low and pour in cream, whisking constantly.  Cook sauce for a few minutes until cream starts to thicken the mixture.  Taste and add cayenne, salt, or pepper to taste.
5. Add chicken and vegetables to sauce, including all juices that have drained to plate.  Stir and cook 1-2 minutes until hot and bubbly.  Add fettuccine and toss to combine.

Serves 6

Adapted from The Pioneer Woman





xoxo,
stephanie marie

No comments:

Post a Comment