August 14, 2013
White Chicken Enchiladas
I've really missed cooking this summer. While I've tried to be healthy and eat lots of salads with fresh veggies, I decided after our hike on Sunday I needed to indulge, and there's no better way to indulge than with The Pioneer Woman :) I've been wanting to try her White Chicken Enchiladas forever - every time I flip past them in her cookbook I drool a little bit - so I decided Sunday night was a perfect time to give them a go. Warning - these are decadent and take a bit of time {unlike these babies} - it's basically like making a fancy queso sauce and pouring it all over enchiladas. But there's nothing wrong with that :) Next time you're looking for a little indulgence, I'd suggest whipping up a batch of these. I guarantee you'll go to bed a happy person.
White Chicken Enchiladas
Ingredients
2 bell peppers
1 jalapeno
1/2 onion, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
1 tblsp vegetable oil
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
Paprika
Salt
2-3 tblsp butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
8 small corn tortillas
Avocado & sour cream (for serving)
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. On grill, under broiler, or in cast iron skillet on high, roast the bell peppers and whole jalapeno until skin is mostly black. Put in ziplock bag and seal for about 30 minutes. When done, core and seed (and remove black skin if desired) and chop up.
3. In large skillet over medium heat, saute onion and diced jalapeno in oil about 5 minutes. Add chicken, 1/2 cup broth, 1/2 cup heavy cream, a dash of paprika and salt, and half the chopped pepper mixture. Stir and let cook for several minutes, then set aside.
4. In separate skillet over medium high heat, melt butter. Sprinkle in flour and whisk constantly for about 1 minute. Pour in remaining chicken broth, stirring constantly until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes. Then pour in remaining heavy cream, a dash of paprika, and 1 cup grated cheese. Stir in sour cream and remaining chopped pepper mixture. If too thick, add a small amount of chicken broth.
5. Warm tortillas in microwave until soft. Evenly distribute chicken mixture between the tortillas, topping each center with a bit of cheese. Fold and place seam side down in baking pan. Pour the sauce over the top, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until bubbly.
Serves 4
adapted from The Pioneer Woman
xoxo,
stephanie marie
Labels:
mexican food,
the pioneer woman
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)





No comments:
Post a Comment