August 12, 2013

The Kid


Saturday night I headed down to Safeco Field with my parents and Nana to watch Ken Griffey Jr. get inducted into the Mariner's Hall of Fame.  I grew up the biggest Mariner fan.  I read the Sports page of the newspaper every morning to get the latest scores, kept newspaper clippings and magazine articles about the team, kept a scorecard when I went to the games with my dad, stood in line for hours to get autographs and pictures - heck, we even named our dog KG after Griffey!!  I remember going to games at the Kingdome when the M's were so bad that we could get free tickets right behind homeplate - and right next to his wife and kids.  Just like everyone else, I was in awe of Griffey and knew he was something special.  Saturday night was a beautiful and memorable tribute to The Kid - I don't think there was a dry eye in the house {including Griffey's "brother from another mother" Buhner}.  Thanks, Junior, for changing baseball in Seattle, and for being the best hero.  On to Cooperstown! :)



 backwards hats in honor of Griffey




beautiful sunset after a terrible game



xoxo,
stephanie marie

No comments:

Post a Comment