October 2, 2012

Egg-in-a-Hole Grilled Cheese


Last week while browsing some of my favorite food blogs, I stumbled across a recipe that I can't believe I haven't thought of before.  An Egg-in-a-Hole Grilled Cheese?  Of course!  Taking one of my favorite quick breakfast meals and easily making it into a yummy and filling dinner is a simple yet genius idea.  You can customize it how you want, but here's how I made mine with what I had in my kitchen:

Cut holes in two pieces of bread (I used the top of a small drinking glass)


melt butter in a frying pan, toast bread for a few minutes, then crack eggs into the holes of the bread slices.  cover and let cook for a few minutes before flipping slices.


when eggs are almost done on both sides, sprinkle some shredded cheese on one slice of bread (I used a sharp white cheddar)


when cheese is almost all melted, add some arugula and tomatoes and cook for about 30 more seconds until arugula just begins to wilt

You can add pretty much whatever you want to this - prosciutto?  bacon?  grainy mustard?  different cheeses?  All would be delicious!  Go make this now - I guarantee you'll be happy you did :)

xoxo,
stephanie marie

No comments:

Post a Comment