December 4, 2014

Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup


It's almost like I knew I was going to get really sick this week.  Sunday morning, I searched Pinterest for "chicken noodle soup" and came up with Cooking Classy's slow cooker version that looked delicious.  I headed out to the store to pick up the ingredients and prepped everything that night.  I woke up Monday delirious from being sick, but had the foresight to throw everything in the slow cooker before heading to the doctor then straight to bed.  When I woke up later that night to the smell of homemade soup wafting through my house, I was so thankful that I had this little idea to make soup on my day off.  It has literally saved me this week {well, that and antibiotics} and if you feel a cold coming on this weekend, make sure to stock up on these ingredients ASAP.  Doctor's orders!

Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts 
5 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tblsp olive oil
6 cups low sodium chicken broth 
1 cup water
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/4 tsp celery seed, crushed
Salt and Pepper
2 cups uncooked pasta {i used penne but egg noodles will hold up better}
4 Tblsp Chopped fresh parsley
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Instructions
1.  Add chicken to slow cooker, along with carrots, onion, celery, and garlic.  Drizzle with olive oil, then add chicken broth, water, thyme, rosemary, and celery seed.  Season with Salt and Pepper.  Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
2.  Remove chicken and allow to rest a few minutes.  Shred with two forks.  Meanwhile, add pasta and parsley to slow cooker.  Increase temperature to high and cover, cooking 10 minutes longer {or until noodles are tender}.  Stir in lemon juice and chicken.

Serves 6

adapted from Cooking Classy

xoxo,
stephanie marie

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try his recipe soon! Sounds so easy! Sorry you've been under the weather...get well soon!

    ReplyDelete