It took a lot of weekends at the theater and a few Netflix rentals, but I actually did it this year - I watched all 8 Best Picture Nominees for the 2016 Academy Awards! There are some really good ones in the bunch {and some I never really need to see again} and I can't wait to see who goes home with the trophy on Sunday night!
I have to admit - a lot of The Big Short was a little over my head. I don't know a lot about banking and mortgages {except my own}, but I loved how this story was told with Ryan Gosling narrating and the cutaways for explanation in layman's terms. While 2007-ish was a truly devastating time for many, it was fascinating to watch what happened behind the scenes. Definitely one I want to watch again.
I finally watched Bridge of Spies this week and liked it more than I thought I would. The first hour was a bit slow, but the second half really picked up. My favorite lines? Tom Hanks {the lawyer} to his client: "Don't you ever worry??" His Client: "Would it help?" Words to live by :)
After hearing great things about Brooklyn, I quickly picked up the book and read it within a week or two. While also starting a bit slow, I fell in love with the subtle details and the hardships & triumphs of Eilis, the lead character immigrating alone from Ireland in the 1950's. I thought the film was a beautiful depiction of the book, and I keep wanting to find out what happens to the characters after the credits rolled.
Ok, so maybe I just didn't get this one, but Mad Max: Fury Road does not get my vote for Best Picture. At all. Yeah, it was a pretty cool action movie, had some amazing chase and fight scenes, and was probably insanely difficult to make, but from the Hannibal style masks to the guitar playing mascot of the fighting, I honestly couldn't wait for this one to be over {hey, you can't like 'em all, right??}.
I had heard from a lot of friends that The Martian was a great book, but since I'm not super into sci-fi, I didn't think I'd be that into it. Boy was I wrong. I could not put the book down, and even though it's not a funny story, I couldn't help but smile and laugh at Watney's realistic and entertaining monologues {you've got to make getting stuck on Mars alone entertaining, right?}. The movie was fun to watch, but in my opinion is no match for the complexity and thoroughness of the book. I would highly recommend picking it up if you're looking for something new to read.
I made my movie buddy Ian go with me to see The Revenant, since I had heard some crazy stories about several scenes in the movie {namely, a horse and a bear} and I didn't want to watch alone. While I'll say I fared better than the woman next to me {who I'm pretty sure covered her eyes the entire 2 hours and 36 minutes}, it was a pretty brutal and intense movie to watch. The scenery is gorgeous and the story riveting, and though some parts can seem a bit slow, I can't see how this movie does not win Best Picture {and if Leo doesn't win Best Actor, then the whole thing is rigged}.
I read Room several years back and loved it, and was so excited to see it made into such a great movie. While the subject matter is tough, the movie is about so much more than kidnapping and captivity. Watching Jack be introduced to the world outside Room at 5 years old is a sad yet beautiful thing to witness, and the acting in this movie is beyond superb.
My favorite movie of the bunch is Spotlight, the story of the Boston Globe reporters that exposed the massive child molestation scandal by the Catholic Church. Michael Keaton is one of my all time favorites, and there's something about this movie and the cast that I could watch over and over again. The acting is brilliant and the story profound, and if you are going to watch one of these movies this year, I'd recommend this be it.
Which was your favorite??
xoxo,
stephanie marie








No comments:
Post a Comment