I had originally defrosted some ground turkey to make a soup that, in hindsight, was way too fall-like, but when I stumbled across the picture for this Lemony White Bean Soup with Turkey & Greens on the New York Times Cooking's instagram feed, I knew this would feel much more appropriate for spring {find the recipe here if you're not a NYT cooking subscriber}. I happened to have everything for this recipe already on hand {including some kale and carrots that were almost to their expiration date that I was happy to use up} and it was so easy to whip up after work on one of the chilly days we were having last week {seriously cannot wait for warmer weather}. The soup made delicious leftovers and is super easy to customize based on what you have lying around {it's kind of a refrigerator cleanout dish, which I love}. I'm definitely adding this to the rotation and can't wait to make it again!
Lemony White Bean Soup with Turkey & Greens
Ingredients
3 Tblsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1-2 large carrots, diced
1 bunch sturdy greens {such as kale, broccoli rabe, or chard}, rinsed and chopped
1 Tblsp tomato paste
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1lb ground turkey {original recipe called for only 1/2 lb}
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tblsp fresh ginger, minced
1 tsp salt
4 cups chicken or veggie stock
2-15oz cans white beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup fresh herbs {we skipped this and it was just fine without!}
Fresh lemon juice, to taste {from about 1 lemon}
Instructions
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add onion and carrot and sauté until soft and brown at edges, about 10 minutes.
2. Add tomato paste, cumin, and red pepper flakes and sauté until paste darkens, about 1 minute. Add turkey, garlic, ginger, and salt and sauté, breaking up the meat with wooden spoon, until turkey is browned and cooked, about 7-10 minutes.
3. Add stock and beans and bring to simmer. Simmer until soup is thick and flavorful, about 25 minutes. If you want broth to be thicker, smash some of the beans with the back of a spoon to release their starch.
4. Add greens to pot and simmer until they are very soft, 5-15 minutes depending on the green. Add water if broth gets too reduced.
5. Stir in herbs and lemon juice, taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
Serves 4
adapted from nyt cooking & weeknight gourmet
xoxo,
stephanie marie
No comments:
Post a Comment