December 5, 2013

Perfect Potato Soup


This past weekend, my parents brought Nana down to see my house for the first time, so I knew I had to make something super yummy {and not too weird} for lunch.  Who better to make classic, delicious food than The Pioneer Woman?  My mom suggested soup, so after perusing her site a bit, I landed on Perfect Potato Soup which looked quick, easy, and oh so good.  It really was so quick to put together {the longest part was the peeling and chopping} and when almost all of my leftovers were taken home by both my dad and Nana, I knew it was a winner.  I'm pretty sure I'll be making this all winter long, and I suggest you do the same :)

Perfect Potato Soup

Ingredients
6 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch strips
1 medium onion, diced
3 carrots, scrubbed and diced
3 celery stalks, diced
6 whole small Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
8 cups low sodium chicken broth
3 tblsp flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt
pepper
1/2 tsp Cajun spice {I subbed Old Bay}
1 tsp minced fresh parsley
1 cup grated cheese

Instructions
1. Cook bacon over medium heat in soup pot until crispy.  Remove from pot and set aside.  Pour off grease, but do not clean pot.
2. Return pot to medium high heat.  Add onion, carrots, and celery.  Stir and cook about 2 minutes, then add potatoes.  Cook for about 5 minutes, then season with salt, pepper, and spice mix.
3. Pour in broth and bring to gentle boil.  Cook about 10 minutes, or until potatoes begin to get tender.  Whisk together flour and milk, then pour into soup and let cook about 5 minutes.
4. Remove about half the soup and blend in blender until smooth.  Pour back in with the rest of the soup.  Season as needed.  Stir in cream and parsley.
5. Serve garnished with parsley, cheese, and bacon.

Serves 10

adapted from The Pioneer Woman

 and must be served with apple pie :)

xoxo,
stephanie marie

No comments:

Post a Comment