March 14, 2017

Brussels Sprout Hash with Bacon & Eggs

A little while back, I found myself with a weekend morning free to whip up a leisurely and delicious breakfast {or at least, more than my usual egg and toast}.  My Skinnytaste: Fast & Slow cookbook has so many delicious looking recipes, and since I had some leftover Brussels sprouts from a dinner earlier in the week, I decided to whip up the Brussels Sprout Hash with Bacon & Eggs.  It was incredibly quick and easy to put together, and it's easy to customize with any veggies you have lying around {I added red bell pepper and asparagus}.  Next time you're looking for a quick breakfast {or breakfast for dinner} to add to your repertoire, look no further :)

Brussels Sprout Hash with Bacon & Eggs

Ingredients
2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 Tblsp olive oil
10 oz Brussels sprouts, quartered
1 large shallot, quartered lengthwise and halved crosswise
Salt & Pepper
Cooking Spray
2 large eggs
extra veggies {if desired - I had bell pepper & asparagus leftover that I added to it}

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Heat 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat.  Add bacon and cook, stirring until crisp, 3-4 minutes.  Using slotted spoon transfer to paper towel lined plate.
3. Add oil to skillet with bacon fat, then add Brussels sprouts, shallot, any other veggies, 1/4 tsp salt, and pepper to taste.  Increase heat to medium high and cook until beginning to caramelize, about 3 minutes.  Flip vegetables, add another 1/4 tsp salt and pepper, and cook until golden all over, 2-3 more minutes.  Return bacon to skillet.
4. Transfer skillet to oven and roast until sprouts have softened, about 6-8 minutes.
5. While skillet is cooking, heat nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Coat lightly with cooking spray and crack eggs in skillet.  Cover and cook to desired doneness.
6. Divide vegetables between two plates and top each with an egg.

Serves 2

adapted from skinnytaste: fast & slow




xoxo,
stephanie marie

No comments:

Post a Comment