February 25, 2020

Fave Books of 2019

According to my Goodreads app, I read 31 books in 2019 {Hey-O!}.  That takes into consideration a lot of bus time from my house to work, plus a few vacation reads that I just couldn't put down {I finished the entirety of Bad Blood on our flight home from Copenhagen last year}.  Some books I read were amazing and some were just alright, but there's really nothing better than getting wrapped up in a great read that makes time just fly by.  Here are a few of my faves from last year that I would recommend over and over again.


I included Commonwealth as one of my faves of 2018, and once again I am enamored with the writing of Ann Patchett, this time in The Dutch House.  The story follows two siblings throughout their winding and complicated lives and keeps bringing them back to the place they grew up to confront their past in order to move forward with their future.  A must read for sure, and my favorite of the year.


I read Lucky Boy at the beginning of 2019 and it stuck with me every time someone asked if I'd read anything good lately.  It's such a timely piece about two mothers and their love for the same boy, and it is so perfectly written about the bonds of mothers and their children and the lengths they will go to love them, protect them, and how to decide what the best is for them.  Without giving too much away, I'd highly recommend picking this up asap.



Ask Again, Yes is a story of two families who's lives are forever intertwined after a shocking and violent encounter and how, no matter how much they fight it, they will always be connected.  This one has lots of twists and turns and is written to make you always want to know what comes next.



Based on a true story, The Tattooist of Auschwitz is a heartbreaking and beautifully written book recounting the tale of Lale Sokolov, the tattooist at the infamous concentration camp during the Holocaust.  It's a story of bravery, love, unimaginable pain and unexpected hope and a definite must read for everyone.



While I devoured two of Sally Rooney's books last year, I think {?} that Conversations with Friends was my fave.  Her writing style is so unique that you actually feel like you are set down in the middle of the story with the interesting yet so normal characters.  I'd recommend either {Normal People was great too} but make sure you check out this unique and fascinating author.

What books have you read lately??

xoxo,
stephanie marie

No comments:

Post a Comment