May 6, 2014
Pappa al Pomodoro
A few weeks ago, when it was still rainy and cold out, I had Erika over for some good hearty soup. I had about half a loaf of bread leftover from Easter dinner, so I decided to utilize it to make The Barefoot Contessa's Pappa al Pomodoro, something I've been wanting to try forever. You know how I love a good tomato soup, but this one is different in that it stays super chunky and is flavored by some of my favorite herbs and veggies {basil and fennel, to name two}. I loved the consistency of the soup and Erika and I both kept commenting on the delicious flavor. If you are looking for some warm comfort food this week during the unpredictable weather, I'd suggest giving this one a go. And the best thing about soups? Leftovers :)
Pappa al Pomodoro
Ingredients
1/2 cup olive oil
2 small yellow onions, chopped
3 carrots, unpeeled and diced
1 fennel bulb trimmed, cored, and diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups diced (1 inch) day old french bread, crusts removed
2- 28oz cans peeled whole tomatoes in juice
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Instructions
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, fennel, and garlic and cook over medium low for 10 minutes until tender. Add bread cubes and cook 5 more minutes.
2. Place tomatoes in bowl of food processor or blender and process until just coarsely chopped. Add tomatoes and their juice to pot, along with chicken stock, red wine, basil, 1 tblsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper.
3. Bring soup to boil, lower heat, and simmer, partially covered, for 45 minutes. Serve topped with Parmesan.
Serves 6
adapted from The Barefoot Contessa
xoxo,
stephanie marie
Labels:
barefoot contessa,
erika,
soup
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment