February 24, 2017

Oscar Night

Once again, I spent more time than I probably should have at the movie theater and at Redbox, but I managed to see all 9 Best Picture nominees for this year's Oscars!  I apparently have a lot of time on my hands :)  There were some great ones that I can't wait to see again, and a few that I could barely sit through, but here's my take on all 9 - which was your favorite?

I watched Arrival this weekend with the parents, and while it was a little slow going and sci-fi, once we got to the ending and it all came together, I completely changed my view of it and loved it.  You have to watch til the end {and then maybe re-watch the beginning after that} but I love how everything was tied together in such an unexpected way.  And I love Amy Adams :)


 I went to see Fences a little hesitantly, but instantly fell in love with the characters and dialogue.  It was originally a play and knowing that going into it, I could totally see it meant for the stage, but Denzel & Viola are both magnificent and deserving of a few gold statues.  And when I saw that Denzel directed it as well?  Some people are way too talented.


 I rented Hacksaw Ridge earlier this week and man, it's intense.  I loved the beginning - the story of Desmond Dawes falling in love and enlisting in the military, but the second half, full of guns and bombs and body parts being blown every which way, was a little too much for me to handle {even if it is incredibly realistic}.  If you're into war movies, this one is for you.  And if you're not, try to ignore the gore and see the beautiful and heroic story beneath.


 For some unknown reason I love movies like Hell or High Water.  It reminded me of No Country for Old Men with a bit of shoot 'em up and running from the law.  I absolutely love Jeff Bridges, and while this wasn't my favorite of the bunch, I can see myself getting sucked in again whenever I see it's on tv.


 I loved going to see Hidden Figures with the girls - it's a feel good story with an exceptional cast and a great telling of history.  It made me hope that John Glenn really was that awesome, and realize that I was definitely born in the wrong decade for fashion :)  Definitely go see this one if you can.


 La La Land was the first I saw of the bunch, and I instantly fell in love with it.  Even the friend I went with said that even though he doesn't like musicals, he thought it was one of the best movies he's ever seen.  I love the artistry, the choreography, the cinematography - everything about this movie was just fun to watch.  There's really nothing else like it {even though the singing leaves much to be desired}, and I'll be shocked if it doesn't win Best Picture.  Go see it and just try not to dance on your way out of the theater :)


 My favorite movie of the bunch?  Lion.  It's a true story of a little boy who gets lost in Calcutta thousands of miles from home, is adopted by an Australian family, and then many years later tries to find where he came from.  I'm not exactly sure what it was {ok, maybe it's my weird obsession/fascination with anything Indian} but I was absolutely in love with this film from the moment it started.  If you're going to see just 1 from the bunch, I'd highly recommend Lion.  It's so, so good.


 Everyone said that Manchester by the Sea was sad, but I didn't realize how incredibly heartbreaking it actually is until I saw it.  It's an extremely intense and emotional story, with a few laughs thrown in to lighten the mood, and if you can handle some emotionally brutal scenes, this one is for you.  Also, I love Michelle Williams :)


I had such high hopes for Moonlight and was so excited to see it, but was disappointed when it wasn't my absolute favorite.  It's split up into 3 parts of a boys life, and part 1 was by far my favorite in this coming of age story.  Mahershala Ali should definitely be getting the Best Supporting Actor trophy for his turn as a drug dealer with a conscience, and for me he was the shining light in this intense and thought provoking film.

I can't wait to see who wins on Sunday!

xoxo,
stephanie marie

No comments:

Post a Comment