August 27, 2020
Strawberry Ice Cream
Last year for my birthday Christian bought me the ice cream maker attachment for my Kitchenaid Mixer but it's taken me a year to actually use it {whoops!}. The whole process seemed intimidating but I was determined to use it this summer with fresh fruits and berries and when I came across Grandbaby Cakes' Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream I knew this was the perfect place to start. The biggest lesson I learned in this process was that making ice cream takes a looooong time. The steps are actually incredibly easy and quick, but there is a lot of waiting time {freezing the bowl for at least a full day ahead of time, cooling the mixture in the fridge, running the mixer for at least 30 minutes, then freezing afterwards to get the ice cream to firm up} - this is not something you're going to be enjoying the same day you start making it! But homemade ice cream {especially this one} is so worth it. The freshness of the strawberries really shined and the creaminess of the ice cream was hard to beat. For a first timer I think I did a pretty decent job and now that I know making homemade ice cream is not hard I can't wait to look up other recipes to try again :)
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
Equipment
Ice Cream Maker
Ingredients
3 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 cups half and half
1 lb strawberries, hulled and pureed in blender with 2 Tblsp granulated sugar
1 Tblsp vanilla extract
Instructions
1. Beat eggs and egg yolks together in medium size bowl. Add sugar to bowl and whisk together.
2. Add heavy cream and half & half to large pot on stove and heat to boiling level. Remove from heat.
3. Slowly add 3 Tblsp of hot milk mixture to egg mixture to temper it and whisk together to combine. Slowly add in rest of milk mixture and continue to whisk entire time to make sure eggs don't scramble.
4. Stir in strawberry puree and vanilla extract.
5. Place mixture in refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours to chill completely {some recipes suggest overnight}.
6. Add mixture to ice cream maker and mix according to manufacturer's instructions {I mixed mine about 30 minutes}.
7. Store in freezer safe container in freezer when not eating.
adapted from grandbaby cakes
xoxo,
stephanie marie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment