February 23, 2022

Grapefruit Olive Oil Poundcake



A few weeks back I had a craving to bake something, so I sat down with one of my faves, The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, to have a look.  I've always been intrigued by her Grapefruit Olive Oil Poundcake and since she said it's perfect during peak citrus season, I knew I had to give it a go.  It was simple to put together on a lazy Sunday afternoon and when it came time to cut into the perfectly cooked cake, I was pleasantly surprised with just how delicious it was.  The cake isn't too sweet, but is the perfect accompaniment to your afternoon tea or breakfast coffee, and I ate it throughout the week while it just got better over time.  If you have some leftover citrus lying around I highly recommend making this one - I can't wait to try it again next year!

Grapefruit Olive Oil Poundcake

Ingredients
Cake
Butter or oil for pan
2 Tblsp freshly grated grapefruit zest
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup raw or turbinado sugar {or granulated if you can't find raw}
1/2 cup olive oil
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tblsp grapefruit juice
1/3 cup buttermilk or plain Greek yogurt

Syrup
2 Tblsp granulated sugar
1/3 cup grapefruit juice

Glaze
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 Tblsp grapefruit juice
Pinch of table salt

Instructions
1. Heat oven to 350.  Butter a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
2. In large bowl, rub grapefruit zest into the sugars with your fingertips to bruise it and release the grapefruit essence.  Whisk in oil until smooth.  Add eggs one at a time, and whisk until combined.  Scrape down bowl.
3. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in second bowl.  In liquid measuring cup, combine 2 Tblsp grapefruit juice and buttermilk or yogurt.  Add flour and buttermilk mixtures, alternating between the two, to the oil & sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour.
4. Spread batter in the pan, smooth top, and rap pan on counter to ensure no air bubbles.  Bake 45-60 minutes, until cake tester comes out clean {I did 60 minutes and mine was perfectly cooked}.
5. Meanwhile, to make syrup combine 2 Tblsp sugar with 1/3 cup grapefruit juice in small saucepan and cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
6. When cake is finished, let cool 10 minutes in pan until inverting onto rack or tray.  Poke holes in cake with toothpick and spoon or brush syrup over cake.  Let cool completely while it absorbs syrup.
7. To make glaze, combine confectioners sugar, grapefruit juice, and salt in bowl, whisking until smooth.  Pour glaze over top of cooled cake.

adapted from smitten kitchen









xoxo,
stephanie marie

No comments:

Post a Comment