February 6, 2018

Homemade Cheesy Chili Dip


So you're probably wondering what that winning dip was from DAP XIV and I have to admit I was selfish in making something that I knew I would really want to eat.  My coworker sent me several ideas {I like to get everyone involved} and after much deliberation on what looked delicious, I settled on Pinch of Yum's Homemade Cheesy Chili Dip.  It was super simple to put together {I didn't start making it until about noon} and the longer it sat and simmered, the more I couldn't stop eating it {I was afraid I wouldn't have anything left to bring to the party!}.  This dip is something you can graze on all day long as long as you keep it warm and with the votes declaring it the winner, you can be confident in whipping this up for your next get together - or for just a random Sunday afternoon snack! :)

Homemade Cheesy Chili Dip

Ingredients
1 lb ground pork sausage
1 heaping Tblsp taco seasoning
1/4 tsp cayenne
1- 14oz can black beans, rinsed
1 1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup water
2 Tblsp butter
3 Tblsp flour
1 3/4 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheese {I used Mexican blend}
fresh cilantro and green onion

Instructions
1. In large skillet, brown sausage until golden brown and crumbled into small pieces.  Drain off excess oil.  Add taco seasoning, cayenne, black beans, salsa, and water if it needs more liquid.  The consistency should be like a thick chili. 
2. In separate sauce pan over medium high heat, melt butter.  Add flour and stir to form a paste.  In little bits, pour in milk whisking after each addition.  The sauce will thicken up gradually - continue whisking and simmer until sauce is thick enough to stick to back of a spoon.  Stir in cheese until melted. 
3. Add cheese sauce to the chili in the skillet.  Mix until well combined.  Stir in green onions and cilantro, and top with more cilantro for presentation.
4.  Serve warm with tortilla chips.

Makes about 6 cups dip.

Adapted from pinch of yum

xoxo,
stephanie marie


No comments:

Post a Comment