January 31, 2011

Greg Mortenson


Last week, I had the privilege to listen to Greg Mortenson lecture at Skagit Valley College.  If you haven't heard of Greg, he is the author of Three Cups of Tea and Stones into Schools, two extraordinary books that I recommend you read right this minute.  Greg is
a wonderfully inspiring individual.  He made a promise to a small, remote village in Pakistan in 1993 that he would return to build them a school and today, the Central Asia Institute that he co-founded has built over 140 schools in remote areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan, with an emphasis on education for girls and promoting peace.  His stories are both happy and heartbreaking, and his message is clear - education, not violence, is the only way to a peaceful world.  It was an honor to shake his hand and speak with him for a minute or two, and I left the lecture ready to change the world - in any little way that I can.





xoxo,
stephanie marie

No comments:

Post a Comment